How White Evangelicals Use the Family to Attack the LGBTQ+ Community and Deny Systemic Racism – Straight White American Jesus
Dr. Sophie Bjork-James is an anthropologist at Vanderbilt University. She discusses her new book, The Divine Institution: White Evangelical's Politics of the Family (Rutgers University Press). In her conversation with Brad, Dr. Bjork-James explains how White evangelicalism enforces racial inequality by drawing moral, religious, and political attention away from problems of racial and economic structural oppression, explaining all social problems as a failure of the individual to achieve the strong gender and sexual identities that ground the nuclear family. The consequences of this theology are both personal suffering for individuals who cannot measure up to prescribed gender and sexual roles, and political support for anti-LGTBQ policies. — Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/straightwhiteamericanjesu/message Support this podcast: https://anchor.fm/straightwhiteamericanjesu/support
- How White Evangelicals Use the Family to Attack the LGBTQ+ Community and Deny Systemic Racism
- Weekly Roundup: The Problem with the Focus on the Family
- White Supremacists, Border Vigilantes, and Survivalists with Dr. Susannah Crockford
- The Christian Soulmate Fallacy–Response to Timothy Keller
- Weekly Roundup: Why Are They Trying Write Trans People Out of Existence?