Straight White American Jesus (SWAJ) is a podcast on religion and politics with a focus on the Religious Right. Launched in 2018, both of the show’s hosts, Daniel Miller and Bradley Onishi, are ex-evangelical ministers who are now religion scholars. SWAJ is the only self-produced and self-funded podcast to appear regularly in the top 100 of Apple’s politics charts. We regularly compete with Fox News, NYT, and the Federalist. SWAJ has ranked as high as #40 in the UK, #6 in Thailand, #68 in Canada, #22 in the Netherlands, among chart appearances in several other countries. The show is downloaded/played approximately 30k times per month, has been featured in PRRI’s “Morning Buzz,” at the “Religious Studies Project,” and assigned in numerous religion programs across the world, including the University of Nottingham, the University of San Francisco, Georgia State, Skidmore College, and Emory University. Former guests include distinguished historians of American religion, such as Randall Balmer, R. Marie Griffith, and Matthew Avery Sutton, as well as journalists such as Katherine Stewart (NY Times contributor, author of the Power Worshippers) and Tom LoBianco (CNN contributor, author of Piety and Power). Our listeners include scholars, students, journalists, and policy makers. SWAJ plays an important role linking scholarship and media by providing a unique insider-outsider perspective on the Religious Right and conservative Christianity, as well as broad research-based perspectives at the intersection of religion and politics.
Anne Nelson on the Shadow Network Behind Trump's Coup, ACB's nomination, and the Coming Cold Civil War – Straight White American Jesus
- Anne Nelson on the Shadow Network Behind Trump's Coup, ACB's nomination, and the Coming Cold Civil War
- Weekly Roundup: Frederick Douglass on a Divided Nation, Whose Faith Counts as Really American?, and American Exceptionalism in Religious Terms
- Sarah Posner on the Secession of MAGA Nation
- Weekly Roundup: Reviving the Lost Cause – the Real Meaning of Trump's Refusal to Concede + Biden's Religious Voters + SCOTUS and Obama Care
- The Brown Church: 500 Years of Resistance and Organizing – with Robert Chao Romero, PhD, JD